"Books are dead." Long live books...

Someone actually said that to me in the past week, dear readers. ME. Of all people.

"Books are dead. No one reads anymore."

Books are dead?!? No one reads anymore?!?

But it ended up being a valuable conversation. When we're forced to defend the things that matter the most to us, it can serve as a reminder why those things matter so much; it can be a gut check as to whether or not they really do.

So, when faced with a person who tells me books are dead and meaningless and can't change your life, what do I counter with?

Simon Van Booy's, The Secret Lives of People in Love.


I discovered Simon Van Booy's writing completely by accidentthat is, if you actually believe in "accidents"I don't so much, anymore. 

My summation of why this is a book that definitely is very much alive was this: "No one writes better about love and loss than Simon Van Booy."

To which my inquisitor replied, "No one? Really? And what's so important about love and loss?" 

To which I said, "Love and loss are all there are in life. You're either loving something, or losing it. A person. Your youth. An idea about yourself. Love and loss are everything. Love and loss are the energy behind all of life." 

And there you have it. So, is this book really that good? Well, when I went to find it on my bookshelf this morning to start writing this blog, I couldn't find it. Because I had given my copy away, yet again. So, I re-ordered it. This will make the fourteenth copy of this book I have owned. I should probably just have a standing order with the publisher at this point. We'll see how long my new copy lasts on my shelf. 

The only other book I have ever bought more than once was Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White. It was the book that started my lifelong love affair with reading. And it is the book that I always give as my answer when I'm at social gatherings and someone tries to play "Stump the Bookworm" and asks, "What's your favorite book?" And it's not a cop outit really is my favorite book, the one I have read more than any other. When asked why, I always say that it's because everything you need to know about life is in there. And what is in there? Love and loss. I defy anyone to read the chapter, "The Crickets" and not feel like books matter. 


I refuse to live in a world where books are dead and no one reads. I refuse to believe that is the world we do live in. Are the authority and energy we give social media these days alarming? Sure. But just like television didn't replace radio, I don't think the internet is going to replace books. Books, actual printed books, are in a class by themselves. If you're still skeptical, take a chance on the two above. I'm betting they'll change your mind. 

Comments

Popular Posts