SPRINGGGGGGGGGG

I was going to give this post a much more elegant title, but to heck with it! Spring is FINALLY springing here!!! I have spent most of this weekend outdoors...something that was long overdue.

I also finished an utterly charming book: How to Fall in Love with a Man Who Lives in a Bush, by Emmy Abrahamson. Life is good!

This was such a sweet book!

The novel follows a frustrated writer (Julia), and a man she meets (Ben—who happens to be homeless) and falls in love with.

As I was finishing it, my boyfriend and I spent a lot of time talking about how many similarities there were between the book and our lives (and the book is even based on the real-life love story of the author and her husband). Like Julia, I'm a writer (or at least trying to be); like Ben, my boyfriend eschews a lot of "square" life conventions (and was voluntarily homeless for a while); Julia even makes Ben watch Harold and Maude! (I totally did this.) After some complications, our protagonists end up together, for the long haul. And happy.

I guess some things are just universal when it comes to love stories. Real ones and fictional ones. Love can work out. Life can be good. At least, that is what I am going to choose to believe!

War and Peace this book wasn't, but it was a fun way to spend a couple of nights' reading time. I'm curious to see what Abrahamson does next—she writes with so much wit and warmth.

The parts of this weekend that weren't me reading, as usual, involved foraging. My particular "man who lives in a bush" is an accomplished forager, as I've mentioned in this blog before.

Yesterday we went on a hike and found an entire hillside covered with wild ramps (a kind of onion). We harvested some. I love cooking with them. I use them in the spring (when we're lucky enough to find them) in place of green onions and shallots. Plus, they're just kind of beautiful:

Pretty as any flowers

This weekend was also the first time the yard needed mowing. My boyfriend made sure he got every good thing out of it before cutting it. Turns out a lot of the stuff that grows in the average yard is actually medicinal and/or edible.

I can't guarantee the medicinal efficacy of anything in my yard, but I can tell you how happy it makes me to come into the kitchen and see jars and jars of plants and flowers...this feels like home.

Dandelions, violets, dead nettle, plantains....

So dear readers, I hope that wherever or however home is to you, you're there this weekend, and happy!

Comments

Popular Posts