"Write what you know..."

...An old saw of writing teachers.

What I know today is that I don't much feel like writing. But sometimes you have to do it anyway.

It's been a weird couple of weeks, I know that too.

Anthony Bourdain. I know him being dead makes me very sad. I didn't know him, not really, but it felt like I did. He must have struggled secretly, and not-so-secretly, the way so many of us do.

I know that lately I have been losing fights with my own generalized anxiety disorder a lot more often than I'd like. I know that it feels some days like I can barely accomplish anything. I know that I am still accomplishing a lot, but damn...what would it be like for it not to be so difficult? I don't know that, but I'd very much like to. I'm trying to get there. This isn't for lack of trying; I damn sure know that.

I know that some days all you can do is watch old movies, do the laundry, and make a pie. And so that is what I am doing today. Peach blueberry, a muddle, kind of like life the past couple of weeks.

But it's OK. It's gonna be OK. There's pie. So it's gonna be OK. Right?

This pie...it isn't perfect. But it's here. Kinda like me. 

And then I changed the channel randomly and encountered this poem, by Lucille Clifton, and the last line is IT: 

...come celebrate with me that every day something has tried to kill me and has failed.

I know that the universe talks to us, if we listen. Hang on. Life can be really tough. But don't quit. Keep on being your imperfect self. This works. It has for me so far. I know that much.

Comments

Popular Posts