Honesty, Poetry, and Some Other Stuff

Oh hello all two of you who still care about this blog, after I have neglected it for so long (more on the why of that in a minute).

This morning I actually hauled myself out of bed and put on real clothes and got somewhere before 9. The only things that have been able to make me do that this year have been hospitals (it's been a long year) and Creative Mornings.

This morning it was not a hospital visit, but Creative Mornings.

And thank God!

Cos it was just the kick in the pants I needed. To think creatively. To get some synapses firing. To reconnect with poetry. This year has been nasty, brutish, and long. My creativity has suffered this year. My energy has nose-dived. All those things I courageously set out at year's start to do have fallen by the wayside, one necessary-evil-choice after another. And that has to stop. In the past two weeks, I have slowly, slowly, started inching back into myself, the me I truly am; the me who does what she knows is right, not what other people say it is. That me. The one who writes this silly little blog but damnit, it's something. That one.

The speaker, Elese Daniel, read from her own works (which should be published, and aren't, at least not all in one book. Hey Universe, let's work on that, huh?) and from other writers she admires and felt we needed to hear. And we did need to hear them. I will always be grateful for her bravery and honesty. This is the power of art, the power of creation. This is what we do this for.

Because I am me and you can't shut me up, and I am especially impulsive when I am up and dressed and out of the house before 9 AM, I volunteered to read the Creative Mornings manifesto this morning. And because of that I got a gift! This book:

Maggie Nelson, Bluets

Elese herself recommended it, so at the end of her talk, I made her write something in it for me, so I can always have it. I think the best gifts in the world are books (natch) so I love giving them and getting them.

So today I am going to start reading this gift from Elese, Creative Mornings, Maggie Nelson, and let's face it, the Universe. Will I suddenly become a morning person? Not likely. Will I try harder to stay inspired and creative? Definitely. It's life or death.



Comments

Popular Posts